Property Monitors and Stewards
The Land Trust depends on a cadre of trained volunteers to visit each and every property, fee and easement, at least once a year. Monitors and Stewards have the opportunity to become familiar with a particular property, to ensure that the conservation values are protected and to serve as a resource for landowners and neighbors about the role of the Land Trust. To learn more about stewardship.
- Property monitor – Lyme Land Trust (LLT) – walk the perimeter or boundary of a Lyme Land Trust property once a year – more if possible – and file a report. Please Contact Stewardship@LymeLandTrust.org to learn more about this program.
- Preserve or trail steward – “Adopt” a Lyme Land Trust or Town of Lyme preserve or trail and gain a thorough knowledge and appreciation, monitor regularly (more than once a year), and help with maintenance and management. LLT property stewards file an annual report. Please Contact Stewardship@LymeLandTrust.org or Openspace@townlyme.org to learn more about this program.
Property Monitors and Stewards Qualifications:
- Willing to gain a thorough knowledge and appreciation of the property.
- Willing to participate in ongoing educational workshops necessary to learn about land stewardship practices and land management.
- Willing to use our web-based property database, Conservation Track.
- Willing to perform the duties described below.
- Monitor property annually, preferably more frequently if public access is allowed.
- Complete an annual online report of general observation regarding the conservation values of the property.
- Remove small trash
- Conduct basic trail maintenance on properties with public trails.
- Walk the properties and boundaries of conservation restriction areas (with landowner permission) or property boundaries (owned by the LLT).
- Assist with trail design and construction where appropriate.
- Act as a liaison between the LLT and property owners, neighbors and the community to help build strong, positive relationships.
- Participate in workshops and events to help facilitate your stewardship and enhance your understanding of the ecology and management of the area.
- An opportunity to enjoy the natural beauty of Lyme while getting some exercise and meeting new people with a similar interest and commitment to conservation
- The knowledge that your volunteer time is essential to the success of the LLTs mission to protect open space in Lyme.
Please Contact Stewardship@LymeLandTrust.org to learn more about this program.